We've got Howard Dean's Back

Google
 
Web wevegotdeansback.blogspot.com

Friday, February 10, 2006

Debunking, a full time job

This is from Howard Dean's interview with Randi Rhodes on January 23:
Randi started the interview by saying "We've been playing your clip over and over again for like the last week, where you succinctly said 'There is no Abramoff Democratic money. He gave no money to Democrats.' She goes on to say that people in the media have continued to try to portray the Abramoff scandal as bipartisan in nature, and that Tim Russert had put up a pie chart saying that 34% of the money had gone to Democrats.

Howard: Well, you know, I like Tim Russert, but that's just not true.

Randi: I know that's not true.

Howard: The truth of the matter is, this is a Republican finance scandal. Exclusively. There is nobody implicated in this except for Republicans. Not one.

Randi: Do you know how he had to couch it to get away with this kind of lying--

Howard: You know, I'm surprised that Tim would do this because I know Tim and he's an ethical person, but that's just not true. You know, these guys have got to get off their butts and look at those numbers. Here's the deal, Randi, *not one nickel* from Abramoff ever went to a Democrat. Not one nickel, every dime of it went to Republicans. Secondly, there's no evidence whatsoever that any money was *directed* by Abramoff to any Democrat. So this is just crap, and it's the RNC, and it's disappointing at this late date after all this corruption exposed on the Republican side, that the mainstream press would fall for this. They've got to do better than this.

Debunking right wing talking points is a full time job, but it can be easier if we work together.

As I was posting on various blogs and discussion boards, trying to get people to join in the brainstorming about how to celebrate Howard's first anniversary as DNC chair, I was occasionally met with this sort of nonsense:

"...but Howard Dean has misused the money and got to raise huge amounts of dollars between now and election day. It's a question of if he doesn't do it he might lose his job."

Bull--er, that's just crap! And we usually know this stuff is crap when we see it (or smell it) but I know I don't always have the facts needed for rebuttal right at my fingertips. So how about pooling our resources and creating one place on the web where we know we can find the resources we need when rapid response is needed?

3 Comments:

  • Renee,

    I feel like I have no finger in a thousand poltical pies right now. But I will try to be of some help.
    Have you bombed BFA with invitations? How about rapid response?

    By Blogger TeresaInPa, at 9:09 AM  

  • Ps... there is an option where you can make these remarks open in a separate window. I did that on my blog and it makes commenting a lot more fun and easy, kind of like BFA.

    By Blogger TeresaInPa, at 9:10 AM  

  • "Ps... there is an option where you can make these remarks open in a separate window. "

    Thanks for letting me know about that. I haven't used the Blogger comments for a while since setting up Haloscan over at Howard-Empowered. Hadn't decided yet if I wanted to do that here as well.

    By Blogger Renee in Ohio, at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home